Translate

Saturday, July 24, 2010

I'm doing the Broome County Fair!

I just found out last Sunday that I was accepted as a vendor at the Broome County Fair!  It was a last-minute decision to apply, so I'm killing myself this week getting ready and making oodles of inventory.  The fair kicks off Tuesday 6pm-10pm and the rest of the week from 10am - 10pm and ends Sunday afternoon.   Needless to say, I'm going to be tired and cranky by the end, but as long as I wear comfy shoes, I'll be fine. 


I must say that this is the biggest show by far I've ever done.  I've got enough inventory for 1 or 2 day shows, but it's difficult to predict what will sell over 6 days.  I'm going heavy on the Fresh, Citrus and Floral fragrances, but I am putting aside enough supplies in case I get a run on certain products so I can make them when I get home in the evening.  I really don't plan to sleep much.


While I'm waiting for wax to set, I make most of my own wicks.  I make my own since I haven't always found the right commercial wick that works withevery type of candle. 


I'm sorting everything into big boxes so I can replenish during the week:  Fresh, Citrus, Floral, Exotic, Herbal/Garden and Misc categories.  I've found from experience that customers generally have a favorite type of fragrance, so by categorizing, it makes the shopping experience easier. 

My daughter Nina designed a new business card for me and they arrived yesterday, all 7 lbs of them.  It took about 2 days from design, to ordering to receiving from GotPrint.  I also ordered a banner for my table which should arrive early next week.  It looks very similar to the business card she designed:


I've been obsessed with how I can add height to my display table and a visit to the local grocery store has solved my problem - corn crates!  They are just the right size, rustic and best of all, free. 

  

So I'm making progress and am right on schedule.  I need to make all the Misc, Herbal/Garden and a few Essential Oil candles tomorrow, then Monday I'll be attending to last-minute details, like printing up coupons, making up a wedding candle display (for future orders) and making sure I check off everything on my to-do list.   

Already, town is abuzz with activity as people are already descending on the community (mind you, less than 1000 residents!), parking their travel trailors and setting up show tents at the fairgrounds.  I can feel the excitement in the air.  I work from home mostly, and look forward to shows like this so I can meet my customers and neighbors in my new town.  It's going to be a blast!

1 comment:

Originals by Lauren said...

I hope you have a very busy week, looks like you have been working like crazy!