In April 2026, I learned that Alabama Shakes was booked to perform at Bethel Woods, NY (the Woodstock site) on Friday, September 4. I was a bubblehead in the wee morning hours and immediately bought primo seats smack in front of the stage. Nothing was going to stop me; I was going, period. Alone or not, I didn't care, but I bought extra tickets just in case. I've followed this band since 2012 until they took a hiatus in 2018. When they regrouped in 2025, I was ecstatic. "The Week" began with a trip to NY. I carried only my backpack and took the train from Lancaster to Penn Station. I had a hair appointment and later met my daughter Carla for al fresco dinner on the Upper West Side.

It was my first solo trip in forever, or ever. Although I lived in NYC for 7 years after 9/11, I'm now a bit more physically challenged, but getting better every day. I'm finally fixed after both hips and knees were replaced and, more recently, back surgery to fix a compressed spinal cord. I resist, but once someone shoves me out the door, I do remarkably well on my own. My daughter has traveled the world solo and confidently, and maybe I will too. New Yorkers have a reputation for being abrupt, but they're just in a hurry (hint: observe sidewalk etiquette). Most folks don't hesitate to help if you need assistance or are lost. The rude folks are transplants who think they need to have an attitude to fit in.
On the trip back, I entertained myself by taking pictures from the train: wastelands of weeds, litter, decay, abandoned structures, walls, train cars. Any flat surface is the canvas for the night artist, who leaves their signature in colorful, bold, often intricate tags. The more difficult the location, the better.
dear Amy
Part II
The CONCERT
Brittany Howard and Alabama Shakes
We forgot it was Labor Day weekend, so our drive to Bethel Woods took longer than expected. We arrived at our VRBO rental with just enough time to unpack, clean up, change, and drive to Bethel Woods. As VIPs, we had preferred parking and a shuttle to the entrance to avoid the crowds. We were in the front center section, 7th row. Better seats could not be had.
Once seated,

The show opened with Mavis Staples, a legend and the last surviving Staples Singer. She's 87, still performing, and sang an incredible set.
After the stage was converted, Alabama Shakes took over. It was electric! Brittany Howard performed not only her standbys but tunes from her new album, "I Must Be Dreaming," released just a week earlier.
The concert was thrilling. We danced, sang, SCREAMED, and applauded.
omg distracted aGAIN....Tune in soon...more more more!
No comments:
Post a Comment