Translate

Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Forward

 I have always looked forward to the next big thing. When I was about 11, our family moved to another state. I vaguely remember the moving truck, saying goodbye to my friends and driving to our new home. I wasn’t sad and fully accepted this major shift, new community, new friends.

I accepted being the new kid in Junior HS wearing socks. I rebelled mightily.

I accepted the major change of entering college and living on my own for the first time. I remember attending my 1st frat party on Kiester Road, drinking my first beer ever.

My outlook throughout life. I’ve taken changes in stride, usually seeing the positive side of things. An example: I quit smoking in 2015 when I was hospitalized. I told my family to dispose of any cigarettes and ashtrays before I came home. Unable to drive, I accepted that cigarettes were no longer available and have been smoke free ever since, over 10 years.

I (almost) always accepted major changes in my life because I prefer to see the future, the next big thing.

Most of my life is behind me now. I daydream about people, places I’ve been, things I’ve learned. Music has always been a constant, my sanctuary, and I can laugh out loud or cry in private. Even though I look back over the years with pride, I have never been fully at peace. I exposed my private thoughts in the most important letter I’ve ever written, and it lifted some of that burden.

So what does this have to do with simple pleasures? Sitting on my porch listening to the birds, the awe of each season as nature unfurls its brilliant colors, the local farmer’s markets with their fresh local produce, fall markets of pumpkins, gourds and chrysanthemums of every shade.

I love putting up for winter, canning or drying food for the long winter months.

In the spring I love seeing the crocuses bloom through the snow in early spring, clusters of daffodils and trees blooming with brilliant blossoms. I miss taking my camera to capture their brilliance, but every season I vow to do better.

I welcome the simple pleasures of greeting every upcoming season. Blossoming new life, summer flora, and fall abundant harvest to preserve through the winter months.

Seasons I love…

No comments: