Translate

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Making Sauerkraut, the old fashioned way



Ok, so my last attempt,  years ago,at making sauerkraut was a complete failure.  It rotted.  This time it will be different.  I found some huge cabbages at a roadside stand the other day, so I decided I'm going to give it another try.  I adore the Foxfire books, and read them endlessly.  After all, I'm living in the country now, so I have to do country things, right?  I started by slicing the cabbages, but it was time-consuming, so I drug out the food processor to make the going a little faster.  So I filled the bowl with shredded cabbage, then sprinkled about 5 TB of salt and stirred it up.  After it wilted a bit, about 15 minutes, I dumped it into a clean crock and tamped it down.  I did this about 5 times until both cabbages were cut up.  But oh my - I need more cabbage.  It shrunk!  So I covered the cabbage with big outer leaves, put a plate on top and placed another pottery jug filled with water on top to weigh it down.  Tomorrow morning I will run out and buy a few more cabbages so I can fill my crock.   If all goes well, in a few weeks, maybe 2-4, I will have fresh sauerkraut.  I will can it - I love canning and putting food by.  And during the wintertime, being snowbound, I will have yummy sauerkraut. 


I still could swear I had canning jars in storage.  Alas, they are not to be found.  No matter.  I will buy some.  Next year I will have a garden to grow all the food I want to put up - tomatoes, green beans, brussels sprouts, squash....I can't wait to get my seed catalogs to start planning.  I would have made a good farm wife. 

No comments: