Translate

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Moving on

November 21, 2015 Saturday

Today we pulled out of Topsail Hill Preserve State Park after 10 days.


While here, we learned how to unhook and hook up the car to the hitch, add fresh water to our tank, empty the black and grey tanks, and deal with some of the foibles of living in a motorhome.  
It seems like the time just flew by! We were still getting set up and needed to buy some things, so we were out and about a lot.  We were planning to stay long enough to wait for a window to come in at Lazydays, but since it wasn’t in yet, we decided to move on to San Antonio for Thanksgiving.  Of course I’ve never been there or met most of Shelly’s relatives, so I agreed immediately!  It’s about 750 miles, so we decided to make the trip in 4 days, or about 200 miles a day.  I’m not helping with driving yet even though I’ve been to driving school, and we stop a lot to rest, eat and take the dogs out, so we decided not to push our travels.

So we pulled out around 10am this morning and the first order of business is to get fuel.  We found diesel not far away and managed to top off the tank.  The clerk at the register asked if we are on vacation or live in it, so I proudly said we’ve been living in it but admitted we’ve only been full time about a month.  She informed me that she and her husband want to do the same soon and have already sold their home.  I wish them luck!  

We headed on down Rt 98 until we found a road to take us to I10 which would take us the rest of the way. But first we had to cross the Choctawhatchee Bay in Destin FL.  




We went through Pensacola on the far western edge of the Florida panhandle, then off into Alabama for awhile.  But first we stopped at this rest stop.


Unfortunately we weren’t in Alabama long.....


and then we were in Mississippi.
I was amazed at the lowlands – taking bridges over land, not water. 


Well, some water.  Too soft to build a road I suspect.  Anyways, new landscape to me, so exciting to finally see places I’ve never seen before and this is just the beginning!  Stay tuned for Louisiana!

No comments: